Cantonese savory egg custard. Similar to Japanese chawanmushi, and Korean gyeranjjim but more delicate and more interesting in it’s flavorcontrast. Super easy to make, nutritious and keto ready.
- Eggs – 3 pc
- Water – 1 cup
- Dried Scallop – 2 pc
- Light Soy Sauce – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 teaspoon
- Sesame Oil – 1/8 teaspoon
- White Pepper (optional)
- Scallion / Green onion
At least 1 hour before cooking…
- Soak dried scallop in 1 cup of water until softened. Keep the water for later use.
- Gently pull apart the soft scallops with your hand.
- Gently but thoroughly mixed up the egg yolk and white in an 8″ bowl.
- Add the water from soaking the scallop into the light yellow egg mixture, stir to combine.
- Add the dried scallops. Let the shredded scallop sink to the bottom of the bowl.
Steam for 20 min..
- Place a steaming rack in a wok/large pot. Add water for steaming. Water should cover the bottom 1/2 inch of the bowl creating a water bath.
- Steam with the lid on but leave 1/2 inch crack to let the steam out. Steam till the egg is set to a custard consistency, about 20 min.
- Test with a toothpick. Insert a toothpick into the custard, if it pulls out clean, the custard is ready.
1. Mix up the seasoning ( light soy sauce, water, sesame oil and white pepper), pour a thin layer of sauce over the egg custard before serving.
2. Garnish with scallion.